Researching these surnames; Baker;
Shaw/Oldham; Denby/McMaster; Pollack/Skeen; Jones/Miller; Skidmore/Mossberger; McDaniel/Otts; Dawson/Morrison.

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Treasure Chest Thursday - Grandma Jo Baker's sugar bowl


This is one of Grandma Jo Helen Baker's treasures, it tells a story about her. It says that she loved beautiful things and had a very feminine streak under that farm woman exterior. When I was a small girl she worked in a neighborhood thrift store. I imagine looking at the broken and repaired lid that it might have come from that shop. Someone had discarded it and Grandma still saw beauty in it so it came home with her. Grandma and Grandpa didn't have much money, many of the things they owned were rescued cast offs from others. This is a trait she passed on to me.


10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you have it! And I love the lid....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy! You know how I love my old "junk"!

      Delete
  2. What a great treasure to have. Welcome to Geneabloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to Geneabloggers!

    Regards, Grant

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw your blog listed at Geneabloggers, congratulations. Your post made me remember my own grandma and how she used to love to display her chinaware for all to see, they were a real beauty. She was so proud of them. She would put away the old dishes and get her new one's out when ever special guests would come over.

    Take care,

    Moises Garza
    We Are Cousins - My personal blog about South Texas and Northeastern Mexico Genealogy

    Mexican Genealogy - Blog where I help anyone with Mexican Ancestry get started with their Family History and Genealogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moises, I'm glad it made you have fond memories of your Grandma.

      Delete

I am moderating the comments so yours won't show up immediately. Thank you so much for leaving comments, ideas and feedback!